Updated: Jul 15, 2021
Prep Time: 10 mins
Marinade Time: 3 hrs
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Shiozake (Salted Salmon)
150g of salmon steak
2 tbsp. sake
Plenty of sea salt
2 tsp. green tea leaves
1 stick of dashi stock
500ml of water
1 tbsp. mirin (optional)
2 portion of rice
Shredded Nori seaweed
Spring onion, chop evenly
Some toasted white sesame seeds
1. Marinate salmon with sake for 10 mins. Discard the liquid and pat dry. Evenly spread sea salt all over salmon and allow to marinate for at least 3 hours.
2. Cook rice. I used brown, red and black rice mixture here as a healthier option. The texture is good too. Otherwise, use Japanese short grain rice.
3. Pre-heat oven to 275 degrees Celsius.
4. Broil salmon with skin side up for 15 mins until the skin is crispy.
5. Meanwhile, boil the dashi stock, add in mirin if desire. Quick steep the green tea leaves for about half a minute. Tips: Do not over steep the tea leaves otherwise it turns bitter. Use tea infuser for the green tea.
6. Remove salmon from the oven, break up the salmon flesh into flakes.
7. Scoop the rice into a bowl, top with salmon flakes, seaweed, spring onions and sesame seeds.
8. Pour the broth into the rice and Itadakimasu!